Traffic laws and numerous highway signs state clearly that slower traffic should drive in the RIGHT lane. Can these people not see miles of traffic crunched up behind them? Can they not see the “friendly” hand signals from the drivers around them? Can they not feel the driver’s hot breath and hear the flaming words of wrath and condemnation emanating from the cars behind them?
Are these people—could they even be called human beings—oblivious to their surroundings?
As I have grown older and shall we say more mature, these “lifelong left-laners” have become a fascinating case study for me.
What could possibly be their reasoning? Could the workplace and life also have “lifelong left-laners?” Are they some sort of morbid sub-culture?
These people who drive slow in the left lane always somehow find three or four semi-trucks in the right lane with drivers who have a Napoleon complex and together they joyfully snarl Interstate traffic for miles at blazing speeds of 45 to 50 mph.
I have seen irate drivers risk their lives and careen pass them out of control on the left grass median of the Interstate.
Why do they drive slow in the left lane?
1) The driver is blind and deaf? Uh, probably not.
2) The driver is suffering from a large case of entitlement? That could be. There are definitely certain ethnic groups and states such as Illinois, Ohio and Florida that seem to comprise the majority of these “left-laners.”
3) The driver does not give a #%@& about anyone else? Uh, yep!
4) The driver has a meaningless existence and has finally found one of the few places where he or she can exert control? Hmmmm.
5) The driver does not have a life and has nowhere to go? Could be.
Can you fill in #6?
Does this have an uncanny similarity to people you work with?
Why does life have so many people who love to throw a wrench in the smooth working of life and career?
And God forbid, I hope YOU are not a left-laner!!