Do you have a bucket list?
I’m not talking a mental idea of things you want to accomplish this year—I mean a real list written down somewhere that you can review and SEE.
There is a mysterious power that comes by writing (be as specific as possible) and consistently reviewing your dreams. Somehow they magically seem to become realities.
Try it. I dare you.
Why a bucket list?
—It gives you something to look forward to.
—It creates treasured memories.
—It is fun to plan.
—It usually involves friends.
—It is good to try new things.
—It shatters the mundane.
—And most importantly, you are not dead when you’re being alive!
My Bucket List for 2011:
- Run & Finish the Phoenix Marathon (26.2 miles) in January.
- Climb Mt. Harvard this summer. A fourteener in Colorado. It is the third highest mountain in Colorado, and also the fourth highest mountain in the Contiguous United States.
- Hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu with my Peruvian friend Francis Carlos Castaneda. One of the seven wonders of the world.
- Begin planning for a March 2012 thru-hike of the Appalachian trail (2,175 miles from Springer Mountain, Georgia to Mt. Katahdin, Maine)
- Go on an Eco-Adventure Trip on the Amazon in Ecuador in March, 2011.
- Step foot on every continent in the World except Antartica.
- Learn how to distinguish and identify red wines by varietal while blindfolded.
- Taste a new national cuisine. (i.e. Cochinillo Asado —Roast Suckling Pig from Spain)
- Read War & Peace by Tolstoy
- Improve my watercolor paintings to another level and sell my most expensive commission. (Over $1,000)
- Write another book. (My fifth—I have the title!)
- Have a reciprocal conversation and coffee with someone I greatly respect (i.e. Ben Folds, Philip Yancey, President George W. Bush)
- Obtain a concealed weapons permit and become an expert marksman (crazy, I know-but I want to)
These are a few of the items on my bucket list this year. I’m serious about doing them.
The idea is not necessarily to complete them and check them off the list, the goal is to be fully alive and present while I’m doing them.
What is one item on your bucket list?